Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

If You Give a Girl a Camera

She will want another. And another. And...
Last December, I had no cameras at all. None.
 Zero.
 Cameras.
By the end of this week, I will own four. Five if we include my daughter's Fisheye2, which we should, because I plan to borrow the crap out of it.
Five Cameras- that's crazy. I shall enumerate. And illustrate.


1) Of course there's my Minolta.

I wrote about it here. I love it. My daughter actually gave me a new lens for it for Mother's Day. It's a 28-100mm zoom, and I am highly excited about it. The 50mm prime I have for it is great, but I really wanted a bit more range. And now, I have it!

2) My second camera acquisition was a Holga 120CFN.
I've shot like ten rolls with it, but don't have any images to show because I completely underestimated the total pain in the ass it would be to process medium format film in my area. It's expensive, as well. I am expecting to pick up some scans later this week, though. I did purchase the adaptor backing that allows the use of 35mm film, but I think in the future I will use it mostly for Black&White film, which I will learn to develop myself.
But here's a shot from my attempt to run 35 in it


3) Because of the inconvenience of the 120 mentioned above, I very quickly purchased the Holga 135BC.
I have it all covered with smiley face stickers. It's adorable. I have a host of fun filters and accessories that are interchangeable between this camera and the 120. There's kind of a learning curve with these cameras, because the viewfinder is pretty much useless, but I've taken some pretty neat shots with this, if I do say so myself, which I totally do.








Not too shabby, right?

4) Then there's the Fisheye2  my daughter wisely purchased the other week.


She's typically resistant to my input regarding how she spends her money, but I'm pretty sure that she's glad that I pointed out how she has plenty of clothes, and while, yes, she could buy another couple of hoodies, she could actually get herself a cool camera instead. She's having a ball with it. So am I.






Her fisheye shots are actually much better. She's doing some really cool stuff- action shots, macro, double exposures, really, really neat. She got her first random comments of approval on Lomography over the weekend. She was thrilled. It's so good to see her exploring her creativity and feeling good about it. This new shared interest has been good for us.

5) Lastly, we are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the newest member of our camera family,

The Ultra Wide and Slim. Isn't it cute? I've seen some amazing images taken with this adorable little thing, which I'm getting, along with several rolls of film, in exchange for that wretched Great Wall PF-1. (Thank you, Ultrafineonline.) It's due to arrive Thursday. I can hardly wait. I'm actually just as excited for the film as for the camera. I ordered some slide film, which I have been dying to try. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to share next week.

Oh, I almost forgot, there's another camera, Clover's Instax mini



Her hair is so shiny!
But I digress.

So, those are our cameras. It's a pretty well rounded collection, something to serve pretty much any photographic need or desire.
Thing is,
I
Want
More


No comments:

Post a Comment